What is a Pick Module?
Pick modules are multi-level, engineered systems comprising various storage mediums designed to move SKUs throughout a fulfillment operation. These systems utilize several space-saving solutions to store SKUs according to throughput.
By examining the total SKUs within your warehouse and analyzing slow-movers, medium-movers, and fast-movers, you can determine the perfect combination of storage mediums to assign each SKU to its optimal position (or slot). In a high-performing order picking operation, pick module systems use various static shelving, tilted pick shelving, high-density storage, carton flow, pallet flow, and conveyors. Implementing these solutions creates maximum order picking efficiency and increases SKU density.
Where are Pick Modules Used?
Pick modules are strategically designed to improve overall performance within order fulfillment operations. A highly effective pick module aims to optimize the cubic space within a warehouse to minimize the amount of time order pickers spend searching for and picking SKUs to fulfill orders.
The use of a warehouse pick module is beneficial to operations across industries including:
Pick Module Benefits
The ultimate goal of any fulfillment operation is to increase speed while driving down costs, and a thoughtfully designed warehouse pick module is a significant part of achieving that goal.
- Reduce labor costs by minimizing travel distance and time between picks
- Increase order picking accuracy by consolidating and organizing SKUs
- Maximize space utilization by consolidating SKUs and using vertical space
- Improve safety and ergonomics by separating forklift areas from picking aisles
Ready to Connect with an Expert?
Fill out the form below to request a consultation to find the ideal order picking solutions for your unique space.
Best Practices to Improve Pick Modules
With the right combination of storage solutions, you can create a multi-level pick module that condenses and organizes SKUs to enhance overall productivity within your operation. When designed correctly, pick modules will maximize space within your facility and reduce search and travel time.
Increase SKU Density with Pick Module Solutions
Implementing a SpeedCell dynamic industrial shelving system is ideal for the slow-moving SKUs within your operation. A necessary part of any order picking operation, high-density storage solutions like SpeedCell can increase storage density up to 60% and reduce labor costs up to 40%. SpeedCell can be installed into an existing pallet rack to transform unused space in your facility into highly efficient storage.
UNEX’s SpanTrack carton flow systems are ideal for medium-moving SKUs. This innovative carton flow solution drops into existing pallet racks to create a robust flow system for any operation. Whether you’re looking for dedicated roller lanes, universal wheel beds, or a combination of both, SpanTrack can maximize space within your facility and increase throughput up to 150% compared to picking from a pallet.
Optimize Your Pick Module with UNEX
UNEX designs engineered-to-order space-saving solutions that are highly effective within a multitude of pick modules. Implementing UNEX order picking solutions within a warehouse pick module increases throughput and pick rates while decreasing mispicks and improving ergonomics at the point of pick.
Connect with our product experts to learn how UNEX solutions can help you increase space utilization and streamline your order picking operation.
Explore UNEX Solutions
SpeedCell is a dynamic warehouse storage solution uniquely designed to save time, space, and money by using existing space within standard pallet racking. Its compact design can compress 200′ of rack or shelving into 40′ of highly organized space.
Key benefits of SpeedCell include:
- Transform vacant space into useable storage and increase storage density by 40-60%
- Create a highly efficient and accurate pick
- Reduce picker travel time by 80%
- Reduce labor costs by up to 40%
SpanTrack Lane is an innovative carton-flow solution that drops into new or existing pallet rack structures to create an efficient, reliable, and durable flow system. Depend on a robust and sturdy solution for even the most active warehouses and assembly plants.
Key benefits of Spantrack include:
- Ensure FIFO inventory rotation
- Reduce worker travel time by up to 75%
- Optimized for product stacking
- Industry-leading 7-year warranty
SpanTrack Wheel Bed
SpanTrack Wheel Bed is a flexible carton flow solution that drops into new or existing pallet rack structures to create the ultimate gravity flow rack system for order picking operations, manufacturing facilities, and more.
Additional Benefits Of Spantrack Wheel Bed Include:
- Hex hub wheel design for optimal flow
- Store products with a wide variation in size and weight
- Increase flexibility for inventory slotting with 90% left to right bay usage
- Replenish inventory from the back without interrupting the process in front
FlowCell flow racks are modular, dynamic storage units designed for a facility's unique operation. Our durable and portable workstations maximize efficiency and space for lineside storage, sub-assembly stations, supermarket racks, modular mobile carts, and more.
Additional Benefits Of FlowCell Include:
- Increase space utilization by up to 50%
- Boost production efficiency by up to 30%
- Keep the factory floor organized
- Minimize reaching and improve ergonomics by reducing injury and fatigue
Roller Rack is a pre-engineered gravity flow rack designed to optimize efficiency, safety, and FIFO rotation in many settings. They are pre-configured, easy to assemble, and ready when your facility needs them.
Additional Benefits Of Roller Racks Include:
- Quick and easy to build and install
- Create bays seven times denser than pallet position storage
- Reduce picker travel time by up to 75%
- Improve access and visibility while reducing strain on workers
Durable, efficient gravity conveyors move all types of loads throughout a facility. Our extensive line of roller and wheel conveyor solutions are easy to install, made to order, and proven to increase warehouse efficiency and throughput significantly.
Additional Benefits Of Gravity Conveyors Include:
- Replace high-maintenance solutions with rugged, low-maintenance gravity conveyors
- Save time and money with lengths manufactured to the inch
- All steel construction for increased durability
- Improve efficiency and throughput
Connect with an Expert
Get in touch with our team of experts to learn how UNEX solutions help maximize productivity and optimize space for operations with pick modules.