Why Storage Matters in Retail
Spurred on by the infamous "Amazon Effect" and operational shifts in the industry, customers expect quick shipping, delivery, and pickup options – and retailers must evolve to stay competitive. In response, many retailers have turned their brick & mortar stores into fulfillment centers to reduce transportation costs and speed fulfillment.
In most retail spaces, the retail backroom isn't designed for eCommerce. Traditional models of regional distribution and weekly restocks won't meet customer demands, such as two-day shipping and more product variations. Despite the change in expectations, retailers still need to use what they have to accommodate customers and maintain profitable margins. Growing and evolving businesses require more storage capacity, which means more space. However, many companies can't afford that financial hit of upgrading spaces while staying competitive. In addition, moving spaces is generally nearly impossible due to the logistics of running a store.
According to McKinsey, online retail sales are growing 15% every year. As eCommerce gains momentum, retailers must also store packing supplies in their space to fulfill orders or accommodate services like curbside pickup. To further complicate things, retail is rapidly morphing into an omnichannel model. Online orders, micro-fulfillment, and in-store pickup are among the fastest-growing omnichannel ordering models, with growth of anywhere from 40% to 70%, depending on the product.
Explore UNEX Solutions
SpanTrack Lane is an innovative carton-flow solution that drops into new or existing pallet rack structures to create an efficient, reliable, and durable flow system. Depend on a robust and sturdy solution for even the most active warehouses and assembly plants.
Key benefits of Spantrack include:
- Ensure FIFO inventory rotation
- Reduce worker travel time by up to 75%
- Optimized for product stacking
- Industry-leading 7-year warranty
SpeedCell is a dynamic warehouse storage solution uniquely designed to save time, space, and money by using existing space within standard pallet racking. Its compact design can compress 200′ of rack or shelving into 40′ of highly organized space.
Key benefits of SpeedCell include:
- Transform vacant space into useable storage and increase density by 40-60%
- Create a highly efficient and accurate pick
- Reduce picker travel time by 80%
- Reduce labor costs by up to 40%
FlowCell flow racks are modular, dynamic storage units designed for a facility's unique operation. Our durable and portable workstations maximize efficiency and space for lineside storage, sub-assembly stations, supermarket racks, modular mobile carts, and more.
Additional Benefits Of FlowCell Include:
- Increase space utilization by up to 50%
- Boost production efficiency by up to 30%
- Keep the factory floor organized
- Minimize reaching and improve ergonomics by reducing injury and fatigue
SpanTrack Wheel Bed
SpanTrack Wheel Bed is a flexible carton flow solution that drops into new or existing pallet rack structures to create the ultimate gravity flow rack system for order picking operations, manufacturing facilities, and more.
Additional Benefits Of Spantrack Wheel Bed Include:
- Hex hub wheel design for optimal flow
- Store products with a wide variation in size and weight
- Increase flexibility for inventory slotting with 90% left to right bay usage
- Replenish inventory from the back without interrupting the process in front
SpeedCartt is a mobile, high-density picking cart solution that is reliable in the most demanding environments. Constructed from the same lightweight yet heavy-duty materials as SpeedCell, SpeedCartt improves efficiency and reduces labor costs.
Additional Benefits Of SpeedCartt Include:
- Increase pick facings
- Reduce travel times
- Increase order accuracy
- Pick multiple orders at the same time for maximum efficiency
Roller Rack is a pre-engineered gravity flow rack designed to optimize efficiency, safety, and FIFO rotation in many settings. They are pre-configured, easy to assemble, and ready when your facility needs them.
Additional Benefits Of Roller Racks Include:
- Quick and easy to build and install
- Create bays seven times denser than pallet position storage
- Reduce picker travel time by up to 75%
- Improve access and visibility while reducing strain on workers
Tilted pick shelves significantly improve SKU visibility, resulting in faster order picking and more comfortable, precise picks for workers. Our easy-to-mount pick shelves are customizable and fit perfectly in racks and on workstations.
Additional Benefits Of Pick Shelves Include:
- Integrate slow movers into the pick line to save space and increase efficiency
- Eliminate the dead zone
- Accelerate pick rates
- Provide clear visibility and accessibility at the pick point and improve worker comfort
Connect with an Expert
Get in touch with our team of experts to learn how UNEX solutions help maximize productivity and optimize space for retail operations.